Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pelican Rifle/Gear Cases - Hands on Review

I've been using Pelican cases for my duty weapons and gear for a number of years now, but finally broke down and got one to fit a couple of my own personal weapons. They survive deployments and training TDYs without a hitch, and if you can afford them its 100% worth the money.

Good Stuff: One of the toughest products I have ever had the pleasure of using. I can honestly that I have never seen one of these cases fail, despite deployment and training stresses and general heavy military use. It is a touch heavier than some other cases, but considering the much better durability (and the fact that it has wheels for the weak-armed individuals out there) its a non-issue. My personal case came with the solid foam, which I custom cut to hold a couple of rifles (which saved me a few bucks) but you can also get custom made foam inserts from the manufacturer.

Bad Stuff: It would be irresponsible of me not to mention the price here. This level of protection doesn't come cheap, so your looking at a couple hundred dollar investment.

Overall: Probably don't need a Pelican case for the occasional trip to the range or once a year trip to deer camp. However, if you have some serious travel (airline or otherwise) in your future or will be seeing some tough conditions, then Pelican is definitely worth it. A couple hundred dollar investment will protect your couple thousand dollar rifles, and you will be happy. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment